We are on the eve of our very first field trip! I have it in the weekly plan to have lessons that
include more creativity than just reading, studying, writing, but we never seem to get there.
Once the grammar basics, writing, maths, history/social studies are finished - we are so relieved to get a break.
The baby is usually up by this time and Alice needs to be picked up at school. Everyday (nearly) I am the last person there for pick-up, and everyday I promise myself I will get there earlier and I never make it. I even think about it all morning, plan for it, and still end up getting there late. It is a puzzle. Alice is gone 3 1/2 hours each day and that is exactly the amount of daily direct instruction I try to give Gray so we work hard every single second she is in school, working right up until she's done. I sense some sort of conspiracy because even though I was there at 11:34 AM today, everyone was gone except little Alice on the bench. It takes 4 minutes to completely clear the place?
Anyway, we're going to the Huntington Library tomorrow for their free day! We actually paid attention, reminded ourselves again and again and secured free tickets for this month. For free day you log onto their site starting at 9 AM on the 1st of the month, to reserve free tickets for the 1st Thursday of the next month. Admission on the weekdays is $15/person and $20/person on the weekends, so our five tickets for tomorrow are a great bargain.
The Huntington's website actually has detailed lesson plans covering a wide array of disciplines. They even detail the California Content Standards covered by the different lessons. I was so excited to find this, I began to question if I had lost my mind a little bit.
Our goals:
1. We have studied haiku and plan on creating some of our own while in the Japanese Garden
2. We have studied J. Gutenberg and the printing press and they have a Gutenberg Bible on permanent display.
3. They have a wonderful Childrens' Garden to set them free in while I sit down and read my book.
Hopefully we can catch up on some creative time that we've pushed aside in favor of sitting on the sofa and reading.
PIctures to follow.
9.30.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment