Today after church, a mother of a boy in the son's class at school (well, K-3rd) approached me.
For context: Her son has just started violin with Gray's teacher and we ran into them at
lesson last Monday afternoon. They asked how Gray's class has been - and we broke the news
that he was not in class this year.
She greeted me warmly, and then leaned in very close to me. She lowered her voice to
a barley audible whisper and said, "Can I ask you a personal question?"
I am always unsettled by this question. Everyone has a different understanding of personal... and
I cannot think how there is any other answer to this question, with this particular wording, other than, "Um, OK?"
"Why did you decide to homeschool after all these years in school?"
I hear Alicia Silverstone from Clueless in my mind, "You say that like's it's a bad thing."
I am not sure for who this would be too personal a question. I am not that person. I have an infant and the questions that flashed through my mind went right to love life after infant questions. This person would have no reason to ask me this - those are questions I consider personal.
The list of reasons is so long and involved I am not sure that I can even begin to explain in a comprehensible manner. I attempt a brief rundown. She nods for a bit, as I talk in bullet points. Then, she has a pen out. She's jotting down notes and saying how interested she is and can she call me. Wait, is this a feeling of admiration I am sensing?! She thinks I am brave. (There's that line again, but this time it has a genuine warmth to it.)
I am a rebel! I have never been a rebel. I like to do expected things. Stable, known, organized things. Every single time I go to Cafe Bariloche for South American food, I order the Pastel de Choclo. (A Chilean corn and meat pie that is delicious!)
Now, I am getting rebellious. Maybe I will order something different next time.
9.20.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
sure you're a rebel, now get on with your bad self get a harley.
i'm still not sure what to say to people (as i said in my post). o well, good thing we don't answer to people.
again, love you and keep writing.
Don't. I love the Pastel de Choclo. Why mess with perfection. Although, do feel free to be a rebel in other areas... by all means.
Post a Comment