Now the California weather upon which all stereotypes are created has returned. We are once again enjoying the land of eternal springtime. Inside the home, although the temperature has returned to it's typical 72-75 degree range, things are heating up considerably.
Grayson has, lagging a few days behind me, come to accept that this is life as he knows it for the foreseeable future. His behavior is slightly worse for the wear. So, when all else fails, text your spouse. Despite being the one in our pair of marital bliss who has never quite been thrilled with this entire endeavor (and I think that these text messages are a teeny, tiny taste of what that was all about...) he was unflappable.
I am despondent that it is only day 13 and I am staring down failure. (maybe just in my mind, but it feels a lot like) He responds: "You haven't failed. He has deep seated patterns that can't be defeated in a short time." My response, "I cannot do it." Him: "He needs to build his endurance. Like an athlete. Start small. Just like violin."(When he struggled to extend his violin practice time to 45 minutes/day we went back to 15 minutes and forced him to stop after that short time had elapsed. He ended up wanting to practice longer.) "It's going to be a hard first two months. Take a break. Don't try to do too much. Make some cookies."
I sent the son out running - around the block four times, 20 jumping jacks on each corner.
And I guess that says it all for today.
9.08.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wise words...or maybe he just wants some cookies? ;)
Running & jumping jacks are good tricks. You're figuring out the secrets to survival very quickly! I highly doubt that either of you are going to fail! :)
Hey, the running is good for more than just discipline...get the blood flowing to the brain--great for increasing attention. Keep it up, Jessica, you're doing great. It would have been weird if it was too easy.
Cookies are ALWAYS a good idea.
You all are so supportive - thank you. It helps me get through another day.
:) love you girl. sense of failure does not necessarily equal failure. what is failure, anyways? take a day off.
Post a Comment