and that made many people think him great. Samuel Johnson (1709-84)
"I don't care what people say. I like George Bush as President. I do, I like him. At least he has conviction.
People always want to blame things that go wrong on one person, but it can't be that simple. All this is Bush's fault? I couldn't even look at that slimy Bill Clinton."
Tuesday mornings I volunteer in childcare at our church's Womens' Bible Study. Perhaps it is seeing me in a church setting that indicates I would commiserate with such a sentiment - as expressed by one of the mothers this morning during pick-up. I nodded slightly, more of a reflex than a response. This conversation seems years old, tired, moot even. (If we could agree on moot, which I doubt considering neither of us see the topic as having a final assessment as uncertain.) I did find it difficult to believe that she could think this, so strongly, after everything that has happened. In the moment I discovered only one thing, I am so weary of politics. I am so tired of the circular discussion around liberation, deception, conviction, religion... on and on. When I didn't respond at first she pressed me further. "I am afraid for any minority Democrat (by this I am guessing she meant woman or black?) who might be elected, you know, because of assassination." Our pastor's 19 year old daughter works with me and here she piped up, "Yeah, I guess, considering Republicans are more likely to have guns." To this the mother replied, (to this teenager directly) "Well, are gang-bangers more likely to be Republican or Democrat?" She looked puzzled, I barely managed to stifle my guffaw. Oh, the list of problems with that question, line of thinking, ugh. It is so long my brain practically imploded on the spot and I could muster only a weak, "They probably don't vote." This is the problem with these discussions. Not to sound too condescending, although I do, it is a bit like trying to reason with a young child. Reason and logic and facts have no home here - only party lines, feelings, self-protection, and a very limited grasp of truth. Nowhere to go but another dead end where we end up debating whether the liberation of Iraq as an end (if we can say that anymore) justifies whatever brought us there in the first place.
3.27.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
why are you here? is this better then xanga?
yeah, politics, and everything so tired of it, but it really has gotten ridiculous
surprised to hear people not more upset over being swindled for so long
I think this conversation is worth having if only to plant that little seed of doubt in the assumption that all Christians are Republicans. It is an evil that must be eradicated.
My new favorite thing to be irritated at this administration for is the polar bear gag-rule:
Memo to scientists requesting foreign travel: "Please be advised that all foreign travel requests (SF 1175 requests) and any future travel requests involving or potentially involving climate change, sea ice, and/or polar bears will also require a memorandum from the Regional Director to the Director indicating who'll be the official spokesman on the trip and the one responding to questions on these issues, particularly polar bears, including a statement of assurance that these individuals understand the Administration's position on these issues." Article
So, somehow the administration's position trumps hard science? And if you're a scientist who disagrees with this this, you need to shut up or stay home?
That's worse than dull, it's horrific.
Eric- that's insane - and may need to be the subject of another post.
i agree with jay - there's power in that seed.
Post a Comment