3.23.2007

Twilight Zone



Last night at Bunco - the room of 12 ladies was in it's one silent moment of the evening. The last round had been played and we all hunched over our score cards, tallying the final numbers. There was a new woman, a visitor to our group, sitting across from me. She suddenly asks me, "Do you have a sister?" "Yes," I say very slowly - thinking that, as usual, I look a lot like someone somebody knows. "Is her name Sarah?" A close friend of mine is sitting nearby and she gasps, a loud gasp for a quiet room. I say, too stunned to address the shocking coincidence, "Yes I do. She lives very far away though, so it is unlikely we are thinking of the same person. Have you lived somewhere else?" Turns out she has always lived in Ojai and has travelled very little and I look a bit like a Sarah who does home parties in Ojai. I am guessing that if this woman saw me with the Sarah I actually look quite similar to, she would not think I look much like her Sarah anymore.

It made me wish my Sarah did home parties in Ojai... but not for her sake.